Corinthian Alabastron: Sphinx
A large ancient Corinthian alabastron with a seated winged sphinx. The large female sphinx wears a crown and stands with her broad feathered wings outstretched. Rosettes fill the field.
The production of pottery from the northern Peloponnesian city of Corinth began around 720 BC and continued until about 550 BC. Corinthian clay is much more pale than the iron rich red clay of Athens in Attica that later supplanted it as the main Greek export ware in the Mediterranean.
Formerly in the collection of Professor W. Kendrick Pritchett, Department of Classics, University of California, Berkeley, acquired between 1936 and 1960.