Roman Glass Amphora
An ancient Roman large glass amphora with a yellow swirled body with pinched flutes and deep blue handles and trailing around the mouth.
Ca. 1st - 3rd century AD.
Ancient glass manufacture had begun in the 2nd millennium BC in Mesopotamia and Egypt. The Greeks and Phoenicians advanced glass technology greatly in the latter 1st millennium BC. In the early 1st century AD, Roman workshops began producing blown glass on a large scale. Eventually glass vessels came to replace a wide variety of pottery and metal wares in the ancient world. Ancient Roman glass was traded far beyond the Roman empire. Roman glass vessels have been found in Scandinavia, India, and in Han Dynasty tombs in China.
Formerly in the H. Kittay collection, New York, inherited from B. Starr, who acquired it from Spink, London in 1955.